Retirement is a time, for most people, of looking forward to more freedom, more leisure time and maybe even time to enjoy all those hobbies you have always wanted to take up! Although retirement can be all of this and more, it can also be a time of loss.
- Loss of work/career
- Loss of work relationships
- Loss of ‘role’ (i.e., provider)
These changes can be stressful and anxiety provoking. However, with some thought and re-defining of who you think you are, this life transition can be a rewarding and fulfilling time. Especially as you will have more time to focus on what is important to you and although retirement can be a time of loss it can also be a time of great gain.
Here are some roles that may evolve, or come to the forefront at this time:
- Grandparent, spending time with your grandchildren can be enriching for them and you.
- Student, take up study in an area you have always been interested in. Your local Tafe may run short courses during the day or evening.
- Volunteer, there are many organisations that cannot do the wonderful work they do without the help of volunteers.
- Community leader, be a voice in your local community, join a local organisation, become a councellor or lead a group of like-minded individuals.
- Traveller, take off and see the world or investigate and enjoy more of your local environment.
- Expert, become an expert in something you have always been interested in but have never had the time to learn about.
- Keep active
- Stay in touch with extended family, and friends, and
- Nurture your intimate partner relationship
If you or a loved one is having difficulties transitioning through this part of life and are feeling overly anxious or even depressed, and would like to speak with a depression counsellor in Perth, please feel welcome to contact us.Article Title: Adjusting to Retirement Article By: Vision Counselling and Psychology Web Address: www.visioncounselling.com.au Published: 03/10/2015 “Adjusting to Retirement”, Pierz Newton-John, (Talk it Over Men’s Line Australia), Available: https://www.mensline.org.au/emotions-and-mental-wellbeing/adjusting-to-retirement (Accessed: 2015, October 10). Image Reference: Dollar Photo Club