Although a family, (in a perfect world) should get along, this is not always the case. Unfortunately, for many and often complex reasons, family disharmony does happen. A family may experience –
- Communication breakdowns
- Constant arguing
- Over involvement OR complete avoidance, and even
- Physical altercations
These are all signs of family relationship breakdowns.
Several different things may cause or exacerbate family tensions, these may be –
- Differences in beliefs, personalities or opinions
- Mental health issues
- Lack of respect
These are among many other possible triggers!
Family relationship issues can have many detrimental effects on the family itself and the individuals that make up the family, including –
- Feelings of isolation
- Anxiety & stress
- Sleeping & eating problems
- Alcohol & drug abuse
- Feelings of unresolved anger
Ways to gain and maintain family harmony –
- Accept that there will always be differences
- Accept that you cannot change others, only yourself
- Enjoy each other’s company, even the differences
- Communicate – talking can help resolve issues, but only when done calmly!
Sometimes feelings about family difficulties can become too much and talking with someone outside your family can help.www.visioncounselling.com.au Published: 17/12/2014 Lifeline,“Family & Relationship Problems”, Available:https://www.lifeline.org.au/Get-Help/Facts—Information/Family—Relationship-Problems/Family-and-Relationship-Problems(Accessed: 2014, November 4) Image reference: Clipart